Saturday, May 26, 2007

Harry & Maud Scahill - Dad & Mum Were Married 26 May 1928

80 years ago today, my mum and dad were married.

They were married at Saint Stephens Church, Salford, Lancashire, England.

The sad thing is, the church is no longer there. I believe it was demolished in 1962 to make way for a block of flats...

I recently sent a plea to the "In Touch" section of the Manchester Evening News, requesting a copy of a photograph of the church, from any reader who may have one. I received several replies.

My mum, Maud Scahill nee Johnson. Loved writing letters, poems and stories. She was also a great cook and had a wicked sense of humour, and was not averse to telling the occasional risky joke. She gave up smoking at the age of 75 and lived until she was 93.

The one thing I have to thank my mother for, was keeping most of the letters she received. I have over 460 pieces of correspondence to and from her. Some dating back to 1946. These letters are a gold mine to an amateur genealogist.

My dad, Henry (Harry) Scahill died at the age of 42, when I was just 16 months of age. Needless to say I do not remember my father. He was a plasterer and bricklayer and apparently use to carry me around inside his hod.

My mother use to tell me stories about him and that he was a loving family man.

God bless them both.

Allan Scahill

No comments: